Thursday, September 4, 2008

Desperately Seeking Friendship


I made a friend. I made a wonderful, special, very dear-to-me friend. She makes me laugh and she has made me cry. She gives me advice when I ask for it, and sometimes when I don't. She has given me a dose of tough love once or twice, because she knew I needed it, and she was right. I call her about everything, even before I call my mother. She has become so important to my life, and I met her on-line. I figure if people can marry someone they met on-line, I can make a best gal pal on-line, and not have to justify it to anyone.

Last month, my darling hubs stayed home with the three beasts while I traveled to the big city to "meet" my girlfriend for the first time! We had been friends for a year and a half, and talk 5 or 6 times a day, so I wasn't scared that she was going to really turn out to be a 45 year-old 600lb. man who lives in the basement with his mother and was luring me to the other side of the country to lock me in his dungeon and use me as his sex slave. Rather, it felt like I was making a commitment and saying that this was a true friendship. Some of my "real life" friends gave me strange looks, and told me to call them to let them know I was safe. I couldn't help but laugh, because I KNOW this woman. I know her like I have known her my whole life.

It was only a long weekend that I spent with her and her adorable family, but it was wonderful. We walked around the city, we shopped, and ate, and ate and shopped. We talked and visited, I met her sister and her brother-in-law. Her husband cooked a delicious meal just for me. It was perfect, and I left there with the proof that our friendship was real, and that we would be friends for a long time to come.

There are a lot of phonies out there, there is a lot of internet fraud. There are a lot of nasty, conniving, evil, vindictive people who are so miserable in their lives that their only outlet is to harass and abuse people on-line. I have met some of those people in my internet travels, but for everyone of them, there is a gem to be found amongst the rubble. I found my gem. I call her Susie, and her friendship is as precious to me as any diamond. I would once again suffer fools gladly just to have met her.

Susie, you really are a star, your birth certificate does not lie! Thank you, I love you much!

4 People Are Feeling Nostalgic:

|s|h|a|r|o|n| said...

I am your first official visitor...because you cannot count yourself, you self-stalker you.

Yay for you and Sue! I'm glad she didn't turn out to truly be some 600lb man living in his mama's basement. I've seen that episode. It doesn't turn out well. There are flippers involved.

Susie said...

You know this made me cry! Yes I'm a big puss and I admit it damnit! You know I feel the same way about you but can't put it quite as eloquently as you can. Much love, sistah from another mistah. Ok it's early and I haven't had my cawfee yet.

Christina M. said...

Oh man! I love this Meg! I am so glad that you both got to meet and become so close. :)

2boys1girl said...

How sweet!! It's awesome you guys got to meet!