This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. Since we are vegan, I have taken a "regular" recipe and veganized it. If you want to make it the regular way, just use the "real" ingredients instead of the vegan versions. I also give a you a few optional ways of making this, but use your imagination and get creative with this yummy, moist, melt-in-your-mouth cake!
The must haves
1 cup vegan margarine (I prefer Earth Balance)
1 cup of sugar
2 Ener-G-Egg Replacer "eggs"
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour (or spelt, or whole wheat PASTRY for a more nutritional cake)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
8 oz. tofutti brand sour cream
The chose it or lose its
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 TBSP brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Optional crumb topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cold margarine, cubed
1/2 cup flour
cinnamon to taste (optional)
chopped nuts (optional)
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
4 tsp. water
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 375F, and grease a 10-inch Bundt-pan, or springform pan. I have also made this cake into muffcakes(muffins/cupcakes), using a muffin pan and cupcake liners.
2. If you are using a filling, or crumb topping, combine those ingredients now and set aside. For the filling, just mix the ingredients well until the sugar is coated with the cinnamon. For the crumb topping, cut the cold margarine pieces into the sugar, flour,cinnamon and nuts, as you would a pastry dough, until you have small pea size pieces.
3. In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream margarine, gradually adding sugar, beating until fluffy.
4. Add eggs, beat well. Add vanilla, beat to combine.
5. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and soda. Slowly add this to the creamed mixture, alternating with dollops of the sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix gently until all ingredients are wet, do not over mix. Now would also be the time to add chocolate chips, if you are using them.
6. If you are using the filling: spoon half the batter into the pan, sprinkle the sugar/pecan mixture over the batter, spread rest of batter over filling.
7. If you are using the crumb topping, I suggest a spring form pan, or muffcakes. Pour all batter into pan, sprinkle crumb topping over batter.
8. Bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes, or until cake tests done.
9. Cool 5 minutes in pan, on a wire rack. If using Bundt pan, turn cake onto wire rack and allow to cool. If using springform pan, you can allow the cake to cool right in the pan.
10. Allow cake to cool, you can glaze it while it is still slightly warm.
11. For glaze, combine all ingredients, whisking well to make a smooth glaze. Add more water as necessary to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake.
12. Enjoy with tea, hot chocolate, homemade iced coffee, a good book or a girlfriend and some gossip! Store leftovers, if there are any, in an airtight container. Will keep for about a week.