Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I Voted


And gawd is it always feels exhilarating. In February Buzzer (a.k.a. the Hubs) and I each spent four hours in line just to vote for our girl Hillary in the primary. Four hours. It really sucked, but still was so worth doing and felt really incredible to be a part of something that made people turn out in record numbers.

This year we had talked about doing a mail-in ballot, but we are a battle ground state this year and we didn’t want our absentee ballots to be counted weeks after November 4th. Fortunately, or so you would think, we are in a state that is offering early voting.

Polling places around our county are open October 18 – November 1 for those who would like to vote early. After the experience back in February, we planned to participate in early voting. Honeybee was at school; we dropped off the Dani at preschool, packed up the Jooch and hit the polling place ½ an hour after it opened. Still, the line was incredibly long and parking was very scarce.

Two hours and a good sunburn later (who knew you should pack sunblock to vote), we were able to cast our ballot for the first black President of the United States. My black daughter is never going to be able to remember a time when black men were not welcome in the White House.

It’s such a relief to think about having a nice guy in the White House. It gives me hope for my children and their future, which is something I haven’t had the luxury of enjoying since they were born.

It is a new dawn people; you don’t want to miss it. Get out there and vote!

Photobucket

3 People Are Feeling Nostalgic:

Liberal I am. Bona fide I be. said...

WoOt! Way to go! I hope that everyone gets out there and votes!

Anonymous said...

Then when the bottom falls out , I sure dont want to hear all you liberals complaing about Obama. if he gets elected. everyone is still not sure what spreading the wealth is and how it is going to be done, He fails to tell us,
Just because he is black, is not reason to vote for him. He bleeds red just like we all do, forget his color, what does he stand for,

Retro Housewife said...

Hmmmm, anonymous, I forget where I said I voted for him simply because he is black. I did vote for him because of what he stands for, where as conservatives are voting for: honesty, integrity, a return to responsible economics, personal freedoms, an end to Iraq war, healthcare reform, an investment in education, do I need to go on? And you are voting for McCain, why? And, no one knows exactly what kind of President someone will be until they are in office. I hear an awful lot of the idiots who voted for Bush twice complaining about him.

Please take your racism elsewhere, it isn't welcome here.