Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Nostalgia Alert: We're Just Tryin' To Be Friendly



So, I was born a decade or two too late to really be a true blue Monkees fan, but my younger brother and I used to watch reruns of The Monkees on the UHF channels during summer vacation. The morning line-up included reruns of "I Dream of Jeannie", "Bewitched", and "The Monkees". Like any warm-blooded preteen girl, I found Davy Jones to be dreamy and the show to be sweet and hilarious.

Ok, to be totally honest, my younger brother, Ian, and I would often have crying, screaming matches with our older brother, who claimed that The Beatles were much better than The Monkees. Yeah, no. C'mon, The Monkees have their own TV show!!! Hello! We would not be swayed, until we were much, much older and our old knob and rabbit ears TV set would be replaced with push-button and cable. By that time, The Monkees reruns were no where to be found on the 100+ channels now at our disposal, and we had bigger fish to fry like what was funnier, "Clarrisa Explains it All" or "Pete & Pete" (tie, btw).

Just recently, The Monkees came to mind and I had an insatiable urge to see Davy, Micky, Mike and Peter again. Thank you YouTube, thank you. I think it is virtually impossible to watch the intro to their show and not smile. And, I think no lovelier line was ever written in a song than, "We're just tryin' to be friendly". They sure do seem like a friendly bunch, if only I had been born early enough to have been a true fan. I wonder what Peter Tork is up to these days. Sigh...
Photobucket

1 People Are Feeling Nostalgic:

Susie said...

Ok now not only am I convinced that you were born in the wrong family but the wrong decade too! You are so cute. And I'd take Donny Osmond over ANY Monkee!