Thursday, November 13, 2008

Addiction


For just about my whole adult life I have battled an addiction. Every year I promise myself it will be different and every year always ends up the same way; resentment, overindulgence and guilt. My name is Megan, and I am a Christmasaholic.

This year I promised myself we would have a low-key, thrifty Christmas. I have a list from the Honeybee and have decided on a few gifts for the Dani and Jooch that won’t break the bank. I told Buzzer there would be a $50 spending limit on gifts for each other this year, and all seemed well. Until today.

Today I had to run to the store that shan’t be named (Wal-mart) for some items for a craft I was planning on doing with the kids. While I was there I thought I would pick up a gift box for a little something I had picked up for my mom. I promised myself I would just pop down to the holiday section, get the box I needed and get out. Just the idea of heading to the holiday section made my heart rate start to quicken slightly.
In my head I was repeating to myself, “I am just buying a box. I am just buying a box. I am just buying a box” to try and keep myself on task and budget. But, when I rounded the corner and saw aisles after aisle of all that is good and spendy about Christmas, I wasn’t sure I would get out of there for less than $100 and a divorce lawyer.

Some people complain that Christmas comes earlier and earlier in retail land each year. I am not one of those people. As far as I am concerned Christmas decorations should go up right around Labor Day. White shoes may be a no-no, but fur(faux)-lined boots, yes sir!

The only problem is I don’t want to blow my wad before I have had a chance to peruse every store’s holiday offerings. As I walked down the aisles loaded with cards, wrapping paper, gift bags and home d├ęcor my palms were sweating, my heart was racing and I could feel goosebumps rising on my legs. I am always so tempted to jump at the first beautiful Christmas card I see and then later find one I like better and I need to buy that one too. And another, and another. I must have 30 rolls of wrapping paper in my garage, but I can’t resist buying one (or four) roll more each year. I literally cannot help myself. If I had the money and the drive my house would be the crazy Christmas house.

This year though I am determined to curb by enthusiasm and maybe even use some of that wrapping paper in the garage. I was successful in my mission this afternoon and left the Christmas section with only the box I went in for. Well, and some tissue paper and gift tags. What?!? I told you I have a problem!
Photobucket

5 People Are Feeling Nostalgic:

Tiffany said...

I'm right there with you, except I refuse to admit I have a problem. It's the rest of the country, my friend. THEY have a problem. I see nothing wrong with starting Chistmas a few (or 7) months early. And one can never have enough wrapping supplies. You never know what may come up that needs to be wrapped! So go on with your Christmassy self! Don't let them get you down! Be proud of your ribbon and bow festooned self!

Susie said...

You say addicted, I say Christmas ho. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I'm right with you there, sistah.

Susie said...

Check my blog. There's a lil sumthin there for you.

Katie and Eric said...

I love wrapping paper too! Last year I decided I had to buy 1 roll per person and would wrap each person's gifts with their roll. Now that Logan is a little older I'll let him pick his roll.

Tismee2 said...

I guess I'm a Christmas Ho (Ho Ho) too! I have already been told twice that we have no more room for Christmas ornaments, candles or lights.

I had to talk myself through driving past our local garden centre which has the most amazing Christma section. "I do not need anything in there, I do not need anything in there...."

Good Luck and thanks for your comment.