Friday, November 21, 2008

Here Comes My Baby

I was recently reminded that November is National Adoption Month. Adoption is a topic that is near and dear to my heart, it is something that touches me on a daily basis.

Three and a half years ago our daughter, Maia Yordanos (a.k.a. The Dani) joined our family. She traveled half way around the world from her birthplace in Ethiopia to be our daughter, The Honeybee’s little sister and best friend and big sister to The Jooch. Every day I look into her beautiful little face and wonder what I did to deserve her. I think about her birth mother all the time and wonder if her heart aches over the choice she made for our daughter or if she has made peace with her decision and knows she did the best she could for the child we share.

There are a lot of things I will have to teach Maia. She will have to learn about her heritage, the food, clothes and language of where she was born. She will need to know about the family that remains in Ethiopia without her. She will need to learn and always know in her heart that adoption isn’t second best and that she is loved just as much as her brothers. She will need to learn how to take care of her hair, and then maybe she can teach me! But, most of all, she will need to know who she is and how to be confident in her own skin, no matter what color it is.

Enjoy some pictures of Maia's homecoming and our joyful family reunion at Detroit Metro Airport on April 11, 2005. (I can't get through it without bawling like a baby.)

I love you Yordanos Mengistu, always.


Photobucket

4 People Are Feeling Nostalgic:

Susie said...

These pictures are so beautiful. You know I'm crying, right? You're all very lucky to have one another.

Katie and Eric said...

awwww she was an adorable baby! Thanks for sharing. :)

Liberal I am. Bona fide I be. said...

Thanks. A. Lot. Effer. :) :( :) <-- Sobs there

JamericanSpice said...

Oh Megan. I can only imagine the joy...and yet the longing of wondering how her mother feels...thinks of.

*goosebumps*

God bless you dear woman. I wished for someone like you when I ....I prayed everyday for a family....and then I got too old. *HUGS*