Monday, November 24, 2008

Mmmmmmmm Monday: Buckeyes


This is a great treat to make at Christmas time. They make a nice gift when you need to give just a little something. But, they are delicious anytime. As a vegan I really miss a good Reese's Peanut Butter Cup every now and then and these are an easy way to get my piggy fix.

Here's what ya need:

2 cups all-natural peanut butter
1 cup margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 ½ cups sifted confectioners' sugar
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Here's what ya do:

1. In a large bowl, mix, mix, mix together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet. (I prefer to use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Otherwise, I would recommend using an electric hand mixer. Mix the heck out of it until it is nice and smooth.
)

2. Press a toothpick into the top of each ball (to be used later as the handle for dipping) and chill in freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.

3. Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until smooth.

4. Dip frozen peanut butter balls in chocolate holding onto the toothpick. Leave a small portion of peanut butter showing at the top to make them look like Buckeyes. Put back on the cookie sheet and refrigerate until serving.

This recipe makes a ton. Eat them all by yourself, share with friends, or save them for a particularly PMSy day.

*These candies get their name from their resemblance to the nut of the buckeye tree, which is related to the horse chestnut.
Photobucket

4 People Are Feeling Nostalgic:

Susie said...

Those look delicious. I do love my sweeties!

Katie and Eric said...

I sadly have no appetite for peanut butter anymore. :(

Liberal I am. Bona fide I be. said...

You know, I think I could prolly pull this off...

Hmmm..

:)

Tiffany said...

Those are soooo good. I haven't made them in years. YUM.