Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Sinner

I know it is a sin to covet and while I usually don’t care what kind of house you live in, what kind of care you drive, or what the label says in the waist of your jeans, I do care what kind of Christmas decorations you have, and often, I covet them.

This year, I am coveting an advent calendar. I remember an advent calendar as being one of those little cardboard things with a chocolate behind every window that you bought at the grocery store for $1.99. Because my kids are vegan they can’t have the kind of calendar I remember as a kid, so I had to come up with something else to do for them to carry on one of my favorite holiday traditions.

When the Honeybee was a year old I bought a wooden advent calendar. I found it on eBay and for $20 it was cute and would serve it’s purpose. It is pretty much the epitome of the three C’s (cheap Chinese crap) but the kids love it. It has an ornament to hang on the door for each day and enough room for me to stash three little treats for my three little beasts.

Being cheap Chinese crap this advent calendar hasn’t held up well to the test of time. Some of the doors are falling off, and some of them won’t stay closed under the weight of the tiny ornaments. I decided that after the holiday I would begin the search for a new calendar that might be worthy of being handed down to the grandkids I see celebrating Christmases with in the future.

Then, I found this:


I mean, COME ON! What are you trying to do here, kill me? I mean this…this makes me…drooooooollllll.

This is out of my price range at the moment, so I have been sitting at the computer each day checking on this little morsel of lovely and coveting until my jealous heart can covet no longer.

Santa, if you're listening, well ummm, please, pretty, pretty please. Love you! Also, I realize this seems very, very pathetic to those of you without a Christmas fetish, but I am fully aware of my problem and I don't need you to make me feel any worse, k?

3 People Are Feeling Nostalgic:

Tiffany said...

Oooh! That is CUTE!!! I feel you...I always see such pretty things I want and can't afford. As for Advent calendars..I have one my Mom made. It's that felt and sequin stuff and you hang an ornament each day. It's really cute. Then I found a cardboard Gingerbread house one at Hallmark this year. You open a window of the house each day. It was less than $5 and is ADORABLE!! I hope you find one you like soon!!!

|s|h|a|r|o|n| said...

Advent calendars are great! Unfortunately for my kids, I'm such a procrastinator, by the time ours is out, we're already several days/weeks late. I know, I know, I'm horrible.

I say, set up a advent calendar piggy bank and shove your change in there. When your husband realizes how pathetic it is - seeing all those pennies and nickles just piling up - maybe he'll mortgage the house to buy you that one. Hehe.

You CAN live in that one, right?

Susie said...

That's an Advent MANSION! It really is gorgeous.