Monday, December 8, 2008

Eating Inside the Box

Recently my MOMS Club read the book “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” by Barbara Kingsolver, and while I had some issues with the book, the idea of eating locally and organically certainly appealed to my vegan sensibilities.

One of the moms in my chapter mentioned a local organic farm co-op that offered memberships to the public and each week of your membership you would receive a box of delicious, in-season, organic, locally grown veggies. We had a similar thing available to us in Michigan, but in order to participate you had to work 15 hours a month at the farm and it was difficult for us to fit it in with Buzzer’s work schedule. This though, this sounded perfect, we would definitely have to give it a try.

I went to their website and signed us up for a 10-week membership with a box to be delivered every other week. It just so happened that I got us signed up in time to receive our first box on the week of Thanksgiving.

I was so excited to head down to the local health food store where the boxes are delivered and to see just what luscious treats awaited us. I had to run to the grocery store to get the rest of the ingredients for our Thanksgiving feast, but I wanted to wait and see what was in the box first since it might save me a trip and some money.

I was so pleasantly surprised. We received 5 lbs. of organic russet potatoes, 2 lbs. of sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, apples, oranges, broccoli, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, a cheddar cauliflower, and a bag of mixed baby salad greens. I was in vegan heaven.


With our box o’goodness we made: mashed potatoes, stuffing, mashed sweet potatoes with caramelized apples, stir-fry, mac and cheese with cauliflower, salad and pasta sauce. We even have a few herbs and potatoes left.

We get our next box tomorrow. I might not be able to sleep tonight in anticipation of the treats that await us tomorrow morning.
Photobucket

1 People Are Feeling Nostalgic:

Susie said...

I'm so exited for you too. This is such a great idea for both your family and your local farmers!