Sunday, December 7, 2008

Vegan Thanksgiving

Ok, so I am way late with this post, but after Thanksgiving I switch into Christmas mode full-throttle and I haven’t had much of a chance to sit butt in chair and put thoughts to paper.

Once people find out you are a vegan there are many, many questions (don’t you DARE ask where I get my protein or I may have to smack ya) and one of the most common is, “What do you eat on Thanksgiving?”

While everyone else is enjoying their turkey, we usually partake in TOFUrky (toe-fur-key) with all the usual fixings that you would find on any holiday spread, ours are just veganized.

This year we had company for Thanksgiving, Buzzer’s brother, we’ll call him Uncle Funzy. It is rare for us to have company for the holidays and even more rare to have company at Thanksgiving because the traditional foods are such a huge part of the day no one is really willing to come have a turkey-less Turkey Day. Because Uncle Funzy was coming to town I made the holiday roast I had planned on making and a Tofurky too since I thought he might prefer that.

Our menu:

No Turkey Holiday Roast
Tofurky
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Caramalized Apples
Maple Glazed Carrots
Mashed Potatoes
Peas
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Cranberry and Wild Rice Stuffing
Cranberry Sauce
Tofurky Mushroom Giblet Gravy

Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Peanut Butter Pie

Ok, so it was way too much food for 3 adults and 3 little people, but it was really fun to make it all, and what are the holidays good for besides excess?

Anyway, I hope you had as nice a Thanksgiving as we did. I am glad it is over thought because it means the Christmas season is in full swing and for that I couldn’t be more thankful.
Photobucket

3 People Are Feeling Nostalgic:

Susie said...

Knowing you, I'm sure Uncle Funzy missed out on NOTHING! And now you can play your Christmas music. YAY!

|s|h|a|r|o|n| said...

I love my Tofu (tuboo in Korean), but I gotta ask... is it SHAPED like a turkey? And where's the wishbone? There's gotta be a wishbone in there somewhere!

The menu sounded fab, dear - with that much food, I surely hope you had even more fun making creative use of all those leftovers!

Katie and Eric said...

It all sounds really yummy! Especially the stuffing. I would love to see the recipe for that!