Thursday, January 1, 2009

Fiestaware is a Retro Girl's Best Friend

I want to make sure I remember every detail of this Christmas, as I may not experience another one like it in this lifetime. I may not ever be as touched and blown away by another gift as long as I live. I may not cry big, fat, ploppy tears of heartfelt joy any Christmas Day ever again.

The kids were done opening their gifts and my husband told me it was my turn. We exchanged the few gifts we had for each other. He got jeans, I got slippers, he got gloves, so did I, he got a book, I got one too, he got some movies, I got a hat and scarf and some body butter. By my standards, this is a pretty good Christmas!

My husband is not a good gift giver. He pretty much hates Christmas, he pretty much does no shopping for me and there have been years I have swallowed the huge lump in my throat at his miserable attempts to buy me gifts. There was the Christmas that my main presents were a 4-pack of Virgil’s Rootbeer and a box of pretzel cookies (cookies shaped like pretzels). True story. So, I have come to expect to be majorly disappointed, or to not expect anything at all. He grew up in a home where birthdays and Christmas were no big deal, I did not. Even after 13 years together it has been hard to get him on board with my school of thought, not for lack of tears or trying though.

So, yay, I am actually pleasantly surprised with my thoughtful and well chosen gifts. They are nothing fancy, but sweet nonetheless, and really quite good considering Christmases past. I think we are done when he gives me two large, identically shaped wrapped boxes. He has a huge grin on his face and I am so worried it is something like 40lbs. of sugar. But no, it is Fiestaware dinnerware! One box in Scarlet and one in Tangerine. I am just thinking to myself how thoughtful he is that he started my Fiestaware collection for me, when he drags in two huge Macy’s bags containing 6 more place settings! A whole cabinet’s worth of Fiestaware for me!?! No cookies? No soda? No biography of Dick Cheney (I kid you not)? No financial planning book by Suze Orman? Surely this must be a mistake.

I can’t help it, I cried. I sobbed like he asked me to marry him and presented me with a huge rock to go with that proposal. Anyone who knows me knows I would prefer Fiestaware to a diamond any day, but still, for the husband to know that and actually make it happen is momentous. Then he tells me I can take back some and exchange for different colors if I want, he just wanted to make sure he got 8 for me to open. So now I have 4 beautiful colors of Fiestaware in my kitchen cabinet: Tangerine, Scarlet, Turquoise and Peacock. It is Fiesta heaven.



My only fear is now the standard has been set so high that he can not possibly surprise and delight me in such a way ever again. Although, any year I don’t get a case of soda will still be a pretty good year to me.

Photobucket

4 People Are Feeling Nostalgic:

Katie and Eric said...

That is so awesome! I'm glad you had such a great Christmas. I think the colors are fantastic!

Susie said...

I love the colors! It looks like he's FINALLY catching on, huh?

Tiffany said...

Awwwww! Yay! What a GREAT present :-) I'm sure you'll remember that moment each time you use your dishes!!

Cheyenne said...

What an amazing Christmas gift! Fortunately for you, there are many amazing Fiesta items available! dinnerware is only the beginning. If you are ever in need of advice on some good pieces, contact me at cheyc5@gmail.com. I have been collecting Fiesta for two years and am completely addicted!