Friday, January 9, 2009

I'm It - White Trash Danish

I was tagged by Tiffany at Lattes and Life for this blog challenge. Here are the rules:

1.Go to your documents

2. Go to your 6th file.

3.Go to your 6th picture.

4. Blog about it.

5. Tag 6 friends to do the same.

So, here is my picture:




Which was convenient because I took this picture to blog this recipe anyway.

White Trash Cheese Danish
I am usually a fan of making everything from scratch, and somehow the idea of a tube of dinner rolls used as pastry seems trashy to me. However, this is a really, really yummy trashy, so whatever.

The must haves:
2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated place and bake round crescent rolls
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, diced
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons sour cream

The choose it or lose its:
Jams of any favor, we tried raspberry and blueberry
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon butter, softened

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper

2. Separate the rolls into 8 individual rolls. Using your thumb, flatten the center of the roll, making a large indentation for the filling. Place each roll about 4 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheet.

3. In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese, white sugar, flour, lemon juice, vanilla extract and sour cream. If using the jams, spread a thin layer of jam in the middle of each roll. Spread cream cheese filling on top of rolls. Put a small dollop of jam on top of the filling so you can identify them when they are done baking.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Keep an eye on these and don’t let the bottoms get too dark.

5. In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar, milk and butter. After Danish has cooled, drizzle with icing. Or, you can skip the icing and just sprinkle them with confectioners' sugar, which is what I chose to do.




*The filling makes a lot, you could probably make 2 or 3 dozen Danish with the filling, so you may want to buy more crescent rolls. Great for brunches, or lazy weekend breakfasts and a crossword puzzle.

Here's who I'm tagging:

1. Susie at Knitting Knoobie
2. Sharon at As Seen on the Bathroom Wall
3. Christina at Hippie Liberal Mom Chronicle
4. Kerri at Desperately Seeking Sanity
5. Katie at The Good Life
6. Colette at Jamerican Spice

Photobucket

8 People Are Feeling Nostalgic:

Tismee2 said...

Oh they look delish!

If I wasn't on a diet I might have given them a go - although not sure if we have these trashy dough things here.

Maybe you could send me one?

kmath said...

They look yummy!!

Tiffany said...

Ooh, yum! I'm all for some white trash cooking...it's my southern heritage! Hahahaha!!

|s|h|a|r|o|n| said...

make me hungry, why don't you!

JamericanSpice said...

Oooh yummy!

I'm thinking of trying them because they seem easy enough and the kids can help!

JamericanSpice said...

Done. You can go check mine out. Thanks :)

Just A Mom (Call me JAM for short) said...

Oh wow, these look delish! And they look easy to make. White trash cooking, now we're talking. BTW, found you from JamericanSpice's blog!

Scary Mommy said...

These look awesome, and far better than the prune cookie from the Yabba Pot, LOL!

Thanks for your thoughts-- it's been a tough adjustment, but I have discovered some yummy new things and I do love that my husband is finally eating his veggies. But I think I'll stick to cooking myself for now! :)