Monday, February 2, 2009

Dream Date


Since February is all about Valentine’s Day a friend recently asked us to describe our perfect Valentine’s date. Mine wouldn’t be a date so much as a long weekend. A long weekend spent with just my husband; no kids, phones, televisions, computers or technology of any kind (other than electricity and running water of course) allowed. We would spend time talking, reading, walking, napping and just reconnecting and rediscovering who we were before we had kids. I dream about this long weekend so often I can practically taste it.

But, along with the dream of the perfect romantic get away weekend comes the nightmare of having to leave my kids in someone else’s care. I have never been good with that for even a night at the movies with my husband, never mind an entire three-day weekend! I know that in reality I would have a very difficult time enjoying myself while my kids were somewhere else without me. I would be a nervous wreck, and most likely beg my husband to bring me home early.

So, okay, romance may not be as easy to come by now with three young children at home. But, I have learned over the years that it also doesn’t need to be a day designated once a year for me to want to celebrate my sweetheart. I try to remember every day what I love about my husband and what it is that made me marry him. We try and set aside time once a week to have an in-house date. Even if it spent just watching silly reality shows on the couch together, it is our time and children are not welcome for those few moments we get to spend together.

Whatever your dream date, I hope you find the time to reconnect with your partner and take a break, for a few minutes, from being mom. We all deserve the opportunity to forget for just a moment who we have become and remember who we used to be.
Photobucket

3 People Are Feeling Nostalgic:

Susie said...

I can handle them for three days. Send em ovah!

Tiffany said...

I'm the exact same way. I long to be alone with my husband...go on a date and reconnect. But like you, we don't feel comfortable leaving our son with anyone except my family...and they live 8 hours away. We try to get in alone time, but it's next to impossible between his work schedule and co-sleeping. I really miss him :-(

Thankfully this time in our lives won't last forever, and we can focus on us again one day. But for now...we're mommy and daddy, first and foremost.

Retro Housewife said...

I hear you Tiffany, my family lives 2400 miles away and when they come to visit we are so busy visiting and seeing sites that even then we usually don't get a date.

Susie, oh how I wish!