Thursday, February 12, 2009

I See Nice People

I am a northerner. I was born and raised in Massachusetts, and for the last nine years I lived in Michigan. I am used to being crotchety, snarky, bitter, curmudgeonly, uptight and sometimes down right bitchy. So, imagine my surprise upon moving to New Mexico that everyone here is sweetness and light. You would be hard pressed to find one nasty old soul here. It is disturbing.

I was in the grocery store shortly after we moved here and another shopper looked at me and smiled. WTF?? Then she says, "Hi, how are you today?" Well, it took me a few minutes to choke back my, "What are you looking at?", rearrange my sneer into a smile and politely respond, "Fine thanks, and you?".

These New Mexico folks seem down right chipper. It creeps me out. I have not heard a single horn honk, and believe me, I was driving like an idiot for a bit there until I got to know my way around. The people just sat politely and waited for me to do a 12-point u-turn across three lanes of traffic, like they don't have a care in the world. If I pulled that same crap in Boston people would be driving up on the sidewalk and mowing down pedestrians to get around me, all the while laying on the horn, screaming out the window and having their kids give me the finger. I kinda miss that.

red sox finger kid Pictures, Images and Photos

I guess it is going to take some getting used to. I just hope this sunshine, lollipops and rainbows attitude doesn't rub off on my impressionable young. They wouldn't want to break their rude old mama's heart, now would they?

Photobucket

2 People Are Feeling Nostalgic:

Susie said...

That's ok honey. You talk to me often enough so you don't miss rude asses.

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

:-) If New Mexico kindness is freaking you out, then don't ever come down here to Georgia. We'll simply kill ya with our sweet southern ways :-)