Monday, March 16, 2009

Mmmmmmmm Monday : Vegan Truffles


The Must-Haves:

* 3/4 cup raw cashews
* 3/4 cup cold water
* 1 lb bittersweet chocolate
* cocoa powder

The Choose It or Lose Its:

*Nuts
*Coconut
*Sprinkles
*Crushed Peppermint Candies
*Use your imagination!

How You Do It:

1.Put cashews and cold water in a blender and blend at high speed for 1-2 minutes (yes a long time).

2. Scrape the sides down and blend again until the mixture is the consistency of heavy cream.

3. Meanwhile, in a double boiler heat the chocolate until it's all melted.

4. Cool the chocolate until it's comfortable to work with and fold in the cashew cream (making sure not to stir too fast or you'll create bubbles).

5. Cool in the fridge for 2 hours (to set).

6. Take out a small ball, roll in cocoa powder, or topping of your choice and store in fridge/freezer. I like to melt a little extra chocolate and put a dollop of it in the palm of my hand, then I roll the truffle in it, and dunk it in the cocoa powder. This creates a little shell of harder chocolate on the soft truffle center. I also like to bury a toasted hazelnut in the middle of each truffle.

7. Repeat until done.

8. Give as gifts to your friend or sweetheart, or bring them along to a girl’s nights out for a little naughty indulgence.


Yields: about 50 truffles, plenty to share!

3 People Are Feeling Nostalgic:

Katie @ goodLife {eats} said...

These are so good! I would love to try them with the crushed peppermint, YUM!

Susie said...

Looks delicious! I can't wait for you to come to my house and make me some! HAHA.

Anonymous said...

I love love love truffles! I cannot wait to try these, and if they're good, I'll put the info about them (and your blog) on RawPeople! Thanks!

http://www.rawpeople.com/?utm_source=A&utm_medium=B&utm_campaign=C